Ever a story... waiting to be told

Friday, December 13, 2013

Never Say Never

Who'd have thought? 
People actually DO buy art on a snowy, blustery weekend! 
I sold THREE things last weekend, in the midst of our big winter storm. 
Sunday morning, there was an email requesting a special pen drawing of the old Cincinnati ballpark, Crosley Field. I had already vowed that I wasn't going to take on any commissions for Christmas gifts, but I couldn't resist this one. I really wanted to try my hand at drawing that ballpark. This one came out a little bit differently than my usual pen drawings, and I decided NOT to tint it with much color. Since it's about the Cincinnati Reds, I just tinted the red areas and made them stand out.
On Saturday, the art club called to tell me that somebody had bought one of my envelope drawings. That same evening, a woman called who had seen my artwork in the dentist's office. I had previously donated a framed print to my hygienist, and the woman saw it on the wall and looked up my website.  She wanted a print of "My Back Fence" as a gift for somebody. Three sales in one weekend was not too bad, considering I wasn't expecting anything at all. But I do feel like I've neglected the other commission, the matched pair of drawings. This should really have been my first priority. I'm going to make up for lost time and really buckle down and work solely on them until they are finished. 
Oh! Hey! I just heard the weather forecast for the weekend... more snow! 

23 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I am so excited for you Katherine!
    Love the ballpark drawing...I think the absence of much color was an excellent idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! :)
    thank you for join in my very,very,very,simply blog :D!
    I really aprreciate...and nice works!


    see ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very exciting and encouraging to have these sales! Your work is truly amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m very happy for you!
    Your Duet is becoming beautiful…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on selling your pieces, Katherine...So well deserved. Your commission paintings are coming along beautifully. slowly but perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How gorgeous is this stadium piece? Truly amazing and I love your choice of minimal color and enhancing the reds. And now I'm curious about the Kraft Cheese Company and a letter to a Private in the Army! Congratulations on the sales, Katherine! Your work is always truly phenomenal. I so wish I had your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Katherine! Enjoy drawing and take care in snow. We're enjoying swimming under sunshine!
    Best wishes, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey K!

    Fabulous news! The serious shoppers come out in bad weather.

    Love the ballpark!

    You are really making a much-deserved "name" for yourself. Keep on pushing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Katherine! Imagine if you would have had great weather, you would sell everything! Your drawing is looking beautiful, great idea to work them together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ball park, just the right amount of detail. Snow days are good days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. How brilliant. Your work is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Felicidades por esas ventas de tus obras. Da mucho placer saber que se venden aquello que has trabajado con tanta ilusión, al mismo tiempo que un poco de tristeza por no volverlos a ver. C'est la vie!!!!
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a weekend like this one that will illuminate the long winter days. I am very happy for you. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Katherine - wow - three sales in one week-end and bad weather in the mix...so happy for you - definitely deserve it. Love your pen and inks Katherine...such an outstanding way to show them off on vintage postcards. I am amazed at you working on two paintings and trying to keep them consistent. That is one difficult challenge I am sure. Well take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on all the sales Katherine, the figurative looks outstanding, it is a lot of hard work as I can see. Have a great festive time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations again! Thats fantastic news. and I love your envelope illustrations -- and a very cool double painting! pretty neat as to how you are keeping them even.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats good news Kat...have a great christmas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Felicidades siempre es una alegría tener ventas de lo que uno con gran ilusión y trabajo realiza . FELIZ NAVIDAD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your work is always above extraordinary. Love the ball park.
    Congratulations on your sales. Nice feeling - you made people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the surprise sales Catherine! I love the baseball picture, and the work in progress is coming along nicely. I'm in constant awe of your prolific output - and your prodigious talent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooops! Sorry for using a "C" instead of a "K" for your name!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just super! Maybe snow actually keeps people who do get to a show looking longer. So happy for you that you've sold these. Nothing like a sale to reinforce that you are on the right path!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, Katherine! Who would not want to have one of your artworks!

    ReplyDelete