Ever a story... waiting to be told

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Double WIP


This is the matched pair of drawings that I've been working on for my latest commission piece. 
Rough Draft

When finished, they will be framed in separate matching frames, each about 20x24 inches in size, and displayed about six inches apart on the wall over the client's bed. Each individual piece embodies its own unique compositional elements. However, the two pieces also make a complete composition together, and there is a flow going back and forth between them. 
This is really a fun and interesting project for me, full of challenges that I'm excited to undertake. The current challenge is to keep the colors and values consistent. I do that by moving back and forth from one piece to the other, with the same handful of pencils, applying them in exactly the same way (as much as possible). Also challenging is the fact that I have no reference photos, so I'm making up all the highlights and shadows, hoping they look believable. (That's kind of fun, too!)
There is a psychological challenge, too, which has taken me by surprise. I developed a different attitude and toward the individual pieces. It seemed that Lefty was more easy to work with, and we got to be friends very quickly. The colors blended nicely, the shadows that I invented seemed to look very natural and realistic, the shapes and flow were pleasing and graceful from the very first. But with Righty, everything was a struggle at first. I erased and changed and went over and over some of the shapes and colors, taking hours to get things the way I wanted them. I found that I was approaching Righty with a slightly different mindset. Fortunately, that didn't last for long. I no longer feel like I'm working on two separate pieces now... I feel like I'm working on ONE piece, even though it is on two papers.
I think there is a point in the creation of a piece where the artist and the artwork form a connection and a deep understanding of one another. With some pieces, it takes longer for that magical bond to form, but once it does, I can't seem to tear myself away from my desk until it's completed. 

28 comments:

  1. It's coming together beautifully Katherine! I love reading about the challenges and insights you are having along the way and am pleased to hear how much joy you are getting from these works. Sounds - and looks - like you are very in the flow.

    As an aside, you could put together a collection of all your blog posts with the accompanying pictures and it would make a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is coming together wonderfully with your usual delicate touch. Looking forward to seeing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very good so far, Katherine. What a masterpiece this (these) work (s) will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, very insightful
    I expect switching the work around wouldn't change the relationships. I'm glad they cooperated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are coming along beautifully Katherine.
    I love it when that 'bond' develops with the subject and as most of mine are human or animal portraits they definitely develop personality ..... not always nice I'm afraid LOL
    So pleased that Righty is now co-operating and you can work on both pieces in the same way

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you do it, Katherine. Your work is so consistently beautiful, so breathtaking. This is shaping up to be more of the same. I'd probably have done one piece and cut it in half. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey K!

    Lefty and Righty are fabulous! It is so interesting that they developed "personalities" to you. With all of the work you are putting into nurturing these two, I wish they were going to physically be displayed in a place where a lot more people could see them! So glad you have this forum to show the world!

    Will you be able to make "reproductions" of these prints to sell? I don't have any idea of how that works, but it seems like Lefty and Righty would be perfect in a home decorator's store and on-line catalog.

    You think of how absorbing and challenging the process is; I think of the money!!! I want you to be adequately compensated for your time, creativity and perfectionism!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the detail in these pieces and how they are connected. The rough? drafts are finished pieces in their own right. I often think that small remarques in the borders of mats showing small sections of progress can be interesting too, but I have seriously tried it yet.

    Lucky owner of these new drawings, they will be beautiful - they are already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful so far, katherine. Its going to be amazing when finished! (It looks wonderful when i zoomed on it)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece, the 'rough' draft looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to hear that you sold three painting in spite of the storm. :) Congratulations!
    Those two commision paintings looks great. I think they will be gorgeous when ready. Looking forward to see the rest of the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting to read how you felt about both of these - and how you had a favorite, easy piece! I really like this and it would look good together or separately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like all your works, they seem very good last.
    happy 2014

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is exquisite! ... At every stage too! Very interesting observation about your relationship with the two panels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I just love the colors so far and the richness I see. Isn't it interesting how we bond with our paintings? I suppose that's why most of us as babies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your talents always amazes me Katherine. I wish you a very happy and creative New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is amazing to see how well you keep in touch with the initial rough sketch, continue to balance the shapes, the values and the hues. I admire this systematic disciplined approach. It is evolving so beautifully and I can't wait to see the framed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Katherine - these are really shaping up wonderfully. You are so very talented. I can't wait to see them finished. Interesting how one side gave you more of a challenge than the other. I still am in awe of your "rough" draft. Your pencil work is just superb. Have a fun day creating and try to stay warm...it will be a bit hard here for us - we are in that "polar vortex". Imagine your folks are too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your work is developing so nicely. This piece is looking beautiful. I love the composition, palette, and your careful execution. I am ooking forward to seeing the final stage.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katherine, excelente trabalho, fico à espera pelo final.
    Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your paintings and enjoy seeing its process.
    Thanks.

    (and happy 2014)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, it's going to be so pretty. I love the shadows and lights so far plus the different things to be found in these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, it's going to be so pretty. I love the shadows and lights so far plus the different things to be found in these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredibly difficult and detailed works, but coming along gorgeously....what a talented lady you are !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Já estudei pintura , mas cabei desistindo, que bela obra.
    beijos
    http://eueminhasplantinhas.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are really nice, even in the black and white rough drawing forms. Your client will be very happy I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete