Ever a story... waiting to be told

Saturday, May 24, 2014

With Pen In Hand

Nothing is safe when I have a pen in my hand!
Pitt artist pens on 3" river stone.
When I shipped my artwork to the CPSA show a few days ago, I had to include my Artist's Statement and Bio.  I realized that the last time I'd edited my statement was a year ago, and now it didn't really say what I wanted it to say about my art.  So I've been thinking a lot about what I want to write in that little artist's statement. It finally came to me as I was working on my latest Colored Pencil drawing.
I was about halfway finished with the the piece, when I found myself once again straying from what I had planned on the rough draft.  That seems to happen with every piece I draw. There comes a point in the process, usually about halfway through, when I've thoroughly immersed myself in the piece, when my intuition takes over and guides my creative decisions. The other realization I had was that once my intuition does take over, I make changes to the piece that give it a greater feel of balance and contrast, in both visual and subliminal ways. I also realized that in order to feel 'right' to me, the balance can never be exactly 50/50, nor is it the stereotypical rule of thirds. The most natural balance, to me, is about 60/40.  I don't know if what I wrote down makes any sense, or if it accurately communicates what I want it to say. I'll probably tweak it during the next few weeks, months, and years. But this is what I came up with for my artists statement, and it's already in the box, trucking it's way to Florida with my Souvenirs piece!
Artist’s Statement - Katherine Thomas
My work conveys an illusion of realism manifested through fantasy. To produce this fusion of genres, I create a balance between perceived extremes:  I portray straight lines and angles alongside fluid curves and bends. I blend the old with the new. I transpose manmade objects into organic environments.  Beyond the visual contrasts, there are strong currents of philosophical and emotional contrasts in my work; the counterbalance of sorrow with joy, pain with comfort, confidence with doubt, and longing with contentment. The ballet reference in several of my pieces is one of my most powerful juxtapositions. It symbolizes rigid discipline and restraint yielding to a graceful, flowing expression of emotion.  Perhaps delving deeper into the psyche, there is also a melding of the conscious with the subconscious. It may seem as though the balances I portray are complete polar opposites... a collision of two extremes occupying the same space... but I find that is not the case at all. They are each necessary for the other's existence.  

15 comments:

  1. NICE idea! Really a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stone is "cool" as Nora says, but I am also impressed with your artist statement.
    I am glad you mentioned what you experience about halfway through a piece. It happens with me also. I find it takes on a life of its own and then I have to respond to what is happening. I like the way you put it - intuition takes over. Now I will have to think about the percentages of balance. Thanks for an interesting post, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've proven over and over again that the "pen" is indeed mightier than the sword, whether used for art or for words. Your statement is spot on beautiful and captures the essence of the Katherine that I've come to know and love. Love the blowing curtains above this shop, looking forward to seeing the final piece. And the rock? Amazing! I thought it was the natural rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Painting stones is very relaxing! Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katherine, your stone is great, I loved the sensation of dimensionality.
    Your work in progress is lovely too.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gran trabajo, las piedras en su mano las convierte en arte.saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey K!

    Your artist's statement contains very compelling (and oh so truthful) content. If I had to pick my favorite sentence, it would be this one: "My work conveys an illusion of realism manifested through fantasy." That would be my "opener" if I were you. It is so intriguing and I think it describes your work perfectly!

    Your admirable connection with the spirituality of your talent reflects in your work and in your words. BRAVO!!


    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous rock art Katherine, it looks beautiful! I had tried something like this with acrylics. The artist statement looks great, it reflects on your personality that I have perceived of you, the in depth meaning of your creativity. Your WIP looks great as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katherine! Your post really tells your story and the way you see your art. I find your rock demonstrate exactly your approach to art. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that stone! I think you have a new obsession! As for the artist statement, I just stop reading them after 3 lines so I hope others can help you or give you advice (of course, I've never written an artist statement that said anything much about it - I figure the artwork should speak for itself - or maybe I'm just lazy when it comes to that! ha ha). Good luck on the CPSA show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your thoughts about your intuition taking over, that happens to me and drawings change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressed by your latest work. Waiting to see how the finished one will look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great artist statement Katherine!

    ReplyDelete